Requesting a "Fitnote"

For any illness lasting longer than seven days you will need to see the doctor for him/her to issue a Fitnote (F.med3) and for any subsequent renewal of the certificate. If your employer insists on a sickness certificate for 7 days or less please see below for self certification.

You do not require a doctor's fitnote for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however ask you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.  Click here for further details.